Re: [LUG] Edubook: Netbook on AA's ...

On 10/02/2010 11:34, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, tom wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

http://www.norhtec.com/products/gecko/index.html

RRP is $199 too.

And yes, it can run Linux!

I gues by the name, they're aiming it at schools. Interesting though.

Any UK sellers that you know of?

No...

Reading more, I don't think they're making it yet - just looking for orders, and the price is going to vary according to how many you order too.

entry level is a 1GHz processor with 512MB of RAM.

However it's an intersting concept - thanks to the proliferation of cameras, gadgets, etc. you can buy AA batteries almsot anywhere in the world now.

They're claiming the CPU uses 1.2 watts too - so now the effort must be put into the display chip & backlight as at those power levels, I imagine it's almost comparable with ARM for the cpu speed...

Gordon

I'd be interested in one depending on the price, although I'm kinda worried that $199 will translate to £199.

I wonder if it's worth mentioning to some of the big online suppliers (eBuyer.com, Aria, Scan etc) who have the buying power to buy these in the thousands, maybe that might bring the prices down a little.

Rob