Re: [LUG] mobile broadband things

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:25:59 +0000
> James Fidell wrote:
>
>> Over the last few days I've been attempting to get an Orange ICON 7.2
>> dongle working on a SheevaPlug.
>>
>> Had to build all and install all the HSO drivers and support stuff
>> myself, but eventually got things to the point where I could get an
>> internet connection.
>>
>> Unfortunately I want this to run headless, but the HSO manager app
>> requires X and I had some other issues with the interaction between
>> dbus and X as well.  (I believe) I've eventually circumvented this by
>> running the HSO manager connected to Xvfb and using a command line
>> app to get it to start and stop the internet connection (via dbus)
>> as required.
>>
>> Somewhat clunky, but far easier than hacking the python code to remove
>> all the GUI stuff without breaking anything else.
>>
>> James
>
> We are still talking about 3G dongles, aren't we?  You shouldn't need
> to use *any* GUI things - once you have it registering as a
> USB-attached serial port you can use things like wvdial to handle the
> rest.
>
> What's the HSO Manager app for?
>
> Grant.

They guy in the vodafone shop in torquay was unsure if they even work
with linux or ubuntu.  the guy in the shop in paignton was even more
vague,

so it seems as the are now more supported (which i am sure this is what
rob told me),  it may be worth looking in to a bit more.

perhaps someone should go in and demo it working, and show them it
works, so if people ask they can give accurate information,

paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details