Re: [LUG] mobile broadband things

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:06:45 +0000
Dan Dart wrote:

> Ubuntu 9.10 supports mobile broadband devices and has settings in
> NetworkManager for it - it's very simple nowadays.
> The drivers are also built into the kernel, just make sure you're
> using the latest version of Ubuntu - I think they've existed since
> 9.04.
> As far as I recall, the devices are the same chipset sold by every
> major company. And that's built into the core functionality - so click
> the network icon and you should be able to configure it easily from
> there.

The vast majority of these 'dongles' present themselves to Linux as a
plain ol' USB-attached serial ports... getting them to this stage has,
however, sometimes been a bit of a task-and-a-half.

We have a Huawueioeieiwoe E-something-or-other dongle that would only
present as a USB-attached serial port after issuing the following
command:
 # modem-modeswitch -v 0x12d1 -p 0x1446 -t option-zerocd
As I understand it this told the the udev tools to re-scan the USB
device specified (-v 0x12d1 -p 0x1446) and ignore the emulated-CD
device it tries to be.

After an upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 it was no longer necessary as this
specific dongle had been added to the list where the above command (or
something similar) is performed automagically.

Grant.