Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Kai Hendry wrote:
> "Spreading the gospel" is an aspect to opensource I find quite irritating.
>
> Opensource for me is all about the open development of software. Good
> software should be testament of this open process. And good software
> should be able to compete with Windows or whatever.
>
> Who cares what the machine runs? It's what is cheap and what is better
> (gets the job done) that matters most. If you think people aren't
> presented with that competing option, package up some opensource
> software and start selling it like a product, not a religion.

I was the original poster about 'spreading the Linux gospel' and it
seems to have upset some people. May I take this opportunity to
apologise to one and all about my unfortunate choice of the word
'gospel'. It had no religious connotations for me and it was just a
phrase. Most certainly I had no intention of upsetting anyone.

So please, one and all, accept this apology. May we now get on with what
is important to me, namely getting more people using Linux etc?

And, referring to other emails in this thread, it seems that others also
find that there is an awful lack of knowledge about open source
generally, which is something we need to address.

By the way, it is interesting that Kai Hendry above referred to
'testament of this open process'. Again, a word that could have
religious context but was obviously not meant to. Nuff said,

Neil Winchurst