Re: [LUG] PlayOnLinux

Terry Hill wrote:
I think I've got a spare HD kicking around with enough space to
install a distro and give this a whirl.  I'll have a look at it at the
weekend and see if I can get Wow up and running along with the latest
nvidia drivers.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I realise I can set up a dual boot, but if wow works I'll probably end
up swapping them over with a minimal windows install + wow to sit in a
drawer somewhere in case of "emergencies", and linux running on the
main boxes.

Would be very cool if this does the job.
I had a quick play, there is a .deb file on the site (and possibly other packages available too, there is a whole list of distros on the site, I just chose the Ubuntu one). Installing the .deb package didn't create an icon on the menus (not what I could see anyway) but I managed to run it from a terminal by entering playonlinux at the shell prompt, so creating an icon would probably be easy enough.

When you first run it, it checks for the Microsoft Truetype fonts and if they aren't installed it downloads and installs them. It also downloads some scripts for a whole load of popular Windows applications.

The applications aren't limited to games, there are things like Internet Explorer (6 and 7), Microsoft Office (2000, 2003 and 2007), Autocad etc. It appears that when you install an application it will download the specific version of Wine for you plus anything else it needs to run. I'm just installing IE 7 at the moment to see how well it works.

There are some inconsistencies in some of the text and the progress bars scroll from side to side quickly which to me is a bit distracting, but hey, it's free, and it does list World Of Warcraft. Maybe it might even convince me to download it and have a look at what all the fuss is about.

Rob