Re: [LUG] Gnome Menu Editing

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:49:20 +0000
Terry Hill <telbonic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Sorry, I wasn't clear enough now I read that back - the menu items
> >> are editable, but the menus themselves aren't.  So for instance,
> >> if I want to change "Office" to "Course Work" and change the Icon
> >> to a different one, the only option seems to be to create a new
> >> one and then drag the stuff across, and hope I haven't made a typo
> >> along the way.

Don't attempt to edit anything in the left hand pane. Select the parent
item in the left pane so that the one you want to edit appears in the
right hand pane - right click it and you can rename Office to whatever
you want.

> > With the menu editor open, select "Applications" at the top of the
> > tree, and you should find the Applications menu's sub-menus listed
> > on the right, which can be modified with a right-click-properties.
>
> Doesn't work for me.  Strange.  Do I need to assume root rights
> somehow?

Menus are per-user - nothing you change in the menu editor (actually
called alacarte) will have any effect on other users on that system.

--

Neil Williams