[LUG] Gnome Menu Editing

I've recently switched to Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit on one of my laptops,
which is being dedicated to a couple of specific tasks.

I'd like to change the gnome menus, so had a bit of a google around,
found that the main way is to use the menu editor included in the
distro.

However, it's not very good really.  You can't edit things once
they've been created, and don't seem even to be able to change the
names of the existing entries.

Is there a config file somewhere I can edit with gedit, or is there a
better tool I can apt-get?