Re: [LUG] Mint XFCE4 wireless connection

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 16:37 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > The broadcom is the one. Run dmesg and see if there's anything in there about
> > broadcom or bcm. A quick Google for bcm4318 reveals some discussion about it
> > already.
> >
> > Grant.
> >
> > -- Sent from my Palm Pre
> Thanks for all your help. I did some Googling once you had told me what
> to look for. I followed some instructions which referred to Ubuntu
> Jaunty (my version of Mint is based on Jaunty) and it seems to have worked.
>
> There is a switch on the laptop which turns on the wifi system and it
> now has a blue light. Also it has found my wifi ESSID and seems to be
> using it.
>
> After all your help I hardly like to ask yet more questions, but here
> goes anyway.
>
> I assume that I will either be using the wifi link or the cable link,
> but obviously not both at once, even if the cable stays in place. So, if
> I connect to one does that automatically disconnect the other?
>
> thanks again
>
> Neil

yes, you can't use them both. if you have the wired connection plugged
in it will usually take first place and your laptop won't "ask" about
wireless connections. So unplug from the router and see what happens.

try running the command iwconfig from the command line. This will tell
you if have a wireless interface. If you get something like

simon@frog2:~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

pan0      no wireless extensions.

vboxnet0  no wireless extensions.

you don't. If you do you should get some info about it and your distro
wifi controller should be available for set up. If there is no wireless
device then maybe downloading the windows drivers from the manufacturers
sight (your distro may have drivers, so it's worth checking the
repository). Install the drivers, via synaptic or ndiswrapper, and then
your wifi controller should make an appearence, also iwconfig should
show information about a device called wlan or similar.

Simon