Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

The wife's PSU started failing, on Christmas Day of all days when I was
converting videos of the kids and uploading them to Facebook.  It was
just the fan which had failed but the power supply did start to make a
bit of a smell, must have been a combination of dust and whatnot.  To
get around it I ended up cable tying an 8cm fan to the grills of the fan
and powering it off the power supply.  Not elegant I know and very noisy
but it worked, infact it's still working now, although I will be
replacing the PSU in the next week or two with a new PSU, possibly an
80+ certified model too.

Not as spectacular as sunday then, if your gonna go, at least go out
with a bang :)

Once upon a time I worked with someone who'd import 4U rack cases from the US (in the days before disks were thin enough for 1U cases!)

They all came with duapl mode PSUs - with a little switch to switch from 110 to 240....

Which, coming in from the US was always in the 110V position. They used to go bang too...

Gordon