Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

Quoting Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>:

My last PSU died on me during a power outage( 2 / 3 weeks ago),  we had
two / three, it didn't wake up after the 2nd.

time before that I had upgraded something (video card I think) and the
PSU started getting warm so that one eventually died, I think that
system drew too much power, but it was happy to have a new PSU,  it was
over a long period though.

I do agree however that for servers you need something really reliable,.

Paul

The wife's PSU started failing, on Christmas Day of all days when I was converting videos of the kids and uploading them to Facebook. It was just the fan which had failed but the power supply did start to make a bit of a smell, must have been a combination of dust and whatnot. To get around it I ended up cable tying an 8cm fan to the grills of the fan and powering it off the power supply. Not elegant I know and very noisy but it worked, infact it's still working now, although I will be replacing the PSU in the next week or two with a new PSU, possibly an 80+ certified model too.

Rob