Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

Quoting Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Can't really vouch for Hitachi drives, although I've not personally had a problem with any of my Hitachi drives, they aren't running 24/7 (they're in the wife's PC) and I have seen other Hitachi drives fail after about 18 months. Also had no luck with Samsung drives, I've had 3 identical 160GB drives all fail within 12 months with the same problem, and these were bought at different times.

It doesn't bode well for low-end servers running 24x7. This is in an
air conditioned server room too - all fans going OK, disk temperatures
stable, etc.

Nope, sure doesn't.  Maybe the drives were from a bad batch?

I've found the drives in my server seem to cope quite well with different temperature changes (from bloody cold in the winter to baking hot in the summer), one of them was on the way out though, that was a WD 40GB drive which was making an awful whirring noise, luckily I had a spare drive kicking around and it wasn't storing anything useful.

Maybe there's a case for drives from different manufacturers in the
same server now... Anyone do this as a matter of course?

Possibly, I guess it might give you a bit extra redundancy. I have found though especially with Hitachi drives, some of them can have odd capacities. I had an issue with a Hitachi 80GB drive which was in a soft-raid array. It was something like 82GB so when I went to put another 80GB drive in, it didn't have enough room. I got round that by sticking in a 160GB drive as a second drive, not ideal but it was all I had at the time.

I sometimes wonder too if it's worth swapping the drives out every couple of years even if they're not failing?

I have a Maxtor 200GB which is still going strong after 5 years, I'm wondering if it might be time to replace that with something newer.

Rob