Re: [LUG] SPAM ...

On Sunday 24 January 2010, Simon Waters wrote:
snip

> The main delivered spam issue I see is spam from big email providers
> (Gmail and Yahoo). Also see a fair bit from forwarded accounts, as all
> my spam prevention is via IP based trust, or hosts not behaving list
> proper email servers, and I clearly do better than those groups
> forwarding me email (although the FSF have sorted out most of their spam
> issues these days).
>
> Of course Icedove's Bayesian filter eats most of the spam gets through,
> but recently seems to be missing lots of 419 scams.
>
> I think the bigger issue than spammer bypassing greylisting, or
> nolisting, is credential theft. Hence the issue with emails from Yahoo
> and Google.

I had my Yahoo email account taken over last week.  Someone got in, changed my
password and "secret" questions, removed my contacts list and spammed it.  I
got a new password (through my google account) and retook my Yahoo account
and told Yahoo by email.  They initially said it must have been a worm on my
computer which sent out the spam to which I remonstrated with a few choice
words (how does that change my account password?). We now seem to be in an
exchange of emails where they are trying to establish whether I am the
account holder.  It does not give me a lot of confidence when they ask me via
my googlemail address what my alternative email address is.  I may have to
rethink my email strategy.

George