Re: [LUG] Usung XFCE

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Further research. The picture on F2 is meant to be a computer. However
> is seems that using the Fn key plus a function key does have special
> meanings but only for Windows. These combinations have no effect for me.
>
> However, if I open up say FireFox and the press F1 (without the Fn key)
> it does bring up the help screen. So it seems that the functions keys do
> not work on the desktop (with or without Fn) but do work inside a program.
>
> Neil

And further research. I have now checked via the compaq website, having
checked the product number of my laptop. I entered that number and
brought up the relevant help files. It shows the touchpad with an on/off
button just above it and a little light to show if it is on or off. On
my particular machine there is neither button nor light.

Possibly this is an early version of this particular laptop. Anyway I
can't do anything about it by pressing a button that does not exist. I
will just have to live with it.

As mentioned, this machine has been given to me to see if I can get on
with laptops. Up to now I have kept well clear. I have already learnt
quite a lot, but have not yet decided if they are for me. Meanwhile, if
I ever decide to get one for myself I will make sure that the touchpad
has the relevant on/off button.

Thanks for your time and effort on my behalf. Much appreciated.

Neil