Re: [LUG] MiniDisc players...

Dave Foxcroft wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
Dave Foxcroft wrote:
Mine doesn't have USB (Sharp MD-MT20) but I remember one guy at Uni having a Sony one that did! - mine has an 'optical output'/line in and I have connected it to my sony hifi via a lead - I think most MD player/recorders have one of these optical input/outputs.
The portable recorders generally have optical input on the same connection as the Line In, I haven't seen a portable recorder or player with optical outputs though (not sure if the very first recorder had digital inputs/outputs), certainly my portable player from 1995 doesn't have digital output, and none of my portable recorders or players since have either.
My mistake.... Rob correctly pointed out that it is an optical INPUT not output as I incorrectly stated - in my 'defence', I haven't used my MD for over 3 years. The thread has prompted me to dig it out - along with the stack of MD's that are in the box with it.

I found it in the loft ... charged the NH batteries and it still works!! I'd forgotten how good audio recordings on it sound - I'm off to relive those '80/90's

Dave

Yep, IMO it's much better audio quality than you get with MP3. In HiMD mode with a HiMD disc recorded in PCM, it's also CD quality with more capacity, although at £6 a disc when I got my HiMD recorder, I decided to make use of my existing discs. Not to mention using them in the car means I have to record them in MDSP (original MD format) mode otherwise they won't play on my in-car stereo.

Rob