Re: [LUG] MiniDisc players...

Max Siegieda wrote:
Believe it or not this was the primary method of doing just about anything with an MD player, if you wanted to transfer songs onto one you had to plug it into your computer via the audio port and play the songs at it essentially, very strange and a throwback to the days of tape loaders but hay ho. Go ahead and use Audacity.

Back in 1995 though it was a great format (still is, I have 2 portable recorders, my original portable player from 1995 which no longer seems to work, and an in-car player which the wife is 'borrowing').

Considering your options back then were CD (bulky portable players, no recording capability unless you were absolutely loaded), tape (hmmm, manual fast forward/rewind and still a little bulky), DAT (very expensive, and the seeking problems that tapes have) or DCC (slow seeking problems again, and still bulky) then Minidisc was great for taking out and about.

The only drawback I found in 1995 was the fact that there wasn't a huge library of music available unless you had access to a recorder. Sure there were pre-recorded discs available but recorders were nearly £300 or so compared to £150 for a portable player. Luckily when I got my player I found a copy of a Mariah Carey album on Minidisc. Soon got annoying though having just one disc to listen to for the best part of a month.

Rob