Re: [LUG] Usung XFCE

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, tom wrote:

Neil Winchurst wrote:
Dan Dart wrote:

A KDE user might like LXDE better, so maybe try that too.

Don't know that one, will have a google. Mint version Gloria has three
choices of desktop system, Ubuntu, Kubuntu or XFCE. The last was the
smallest so I am trying that and learning something new as well.

So far I quite like XFCE.

Thanks

Neil

I'm running XFCE on my viglen (500Mhz geode/256Meg ram) and its proving a bit slow - its taken me nearly an hour just to tell it to do the updates and install LXDE which I'm going to try next!

Try FVWM2. Much lighter, but doesn't have the same sort of "desktop" paradigm. ie. you can't "drag a file to the desktop" sort of thing, but other than that... I've been using it since it's inception some 17 years ago...

Although I do have xfce4 on my AAO - but only because that's what I chose for Wifey on hers....

I must confess that I'm amazed how slow things have got - its considerably slower that when I first ran xfce on a 386 with 16Meg of ram (suse 5.1 ~1997?)

It's not that it's slower, it's that it's grown bigger. Programs have bloated with 'features', the base OS has more knobs on it, things have been added that aren't needed for the desktop, but the masses want extras (or are told they want extras) like hotplug, automounting, dynamic device creation (udev), fancy graphics, message passing between applications (dbus), security (pam/selinux) and all these add to the overall bloat and sluggishness of the entire system. Take them out and it's as fast as it used to be in the 486 days (with the exception of web stuff) Actually, it's faster because the compilers have improved and the kernel is more efficient (when you custom compile it)

I have a variant of my PBXs which run on a 500MHz Geode boxes and they're extremely fast, all things considered. (They max-out at 85 concurrent calls under benchmark conditions)

Gordon