Re: [LUG] Linux Live Distro

On 15/01/2010 07:47, rich@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All

I need some help! I want to download and create some live distros for use in maintaining and checking Windows systems. So the questions are:
1. What are the best distros to go for please?
2. Would anybody be willing to download and burn them off for me please? I was going to buy them from a distro site. 3. What tools are useful for checking out windows please? Is there somewhere I can go to learn more about this please?
4. Would it be better to run from a usb stick = easier to carry?

Many thanks for your help.

Rich

Hey Rich,

1. That's down to personal preference. There isn't a "best" distro in my opinion. Personally I enjoy Ubuntu but in your scenario you might want to consider getting a small distro like DSL (Damn Small Linux) - http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

3. Read up on how to mount various file systems (like NTFS), especially as you intend to maintain windows. I don't know any tools from the top of my head. 4. Running from a USB stick can somtimes be easier but can somtimes be slower depending on your hardware. Any computer that isn't from the stone age should be able to boot from USB. It can take a bit of fiddling so you might want to do both USB and CD. Take a look at Syslinux (http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project)

Regards,

Gibbs