Re: [LUG] Exeter Uni hit by Vista virus

Quoting John Horne <john.horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 10:38 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

I do wonder if it's true about this being a new type of virus, no
doubt over the next couple of days it might be acknowledged if this is
the case.

It is either a completely new type or a variant, either way AV software
does not currently detect it. Both symantec and Microsoft are
investigating it. However a previous MS patch is effective against it to
some extent (whether completely effective or not is currently unknown).
The problem at Exeter was that the patch was not applied through the
site for Vista and Server 2008 machines.

I see, so not good. Well at least they're starting to get things back up and running, I certainly don't envy them though running around to sort it out.

I guess something good might come from this... I dare say that they'll investigate what happened and why the patches weren't applied and learn from it.

Rob