Re: [LUG] OT: marketing calls Pt 69!

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Paul Hirst wrote:
> I don't understand why my banks contact number isn't printed on my bank
> card. Then they could phone me and just say: We need to talk to you, get
> a pen, write down this reference number and then phone us back using the
> number on the back of your card. It's an 0800 number so you won't be
> charged. We apologise that this is so complex but it's necessary
> security. Thanks.
>
> Easy, job done, pretty hard to subvert.

Yes, very nice scheme!

Unfortunately most people, both customers and those working for banks,
have little idea about security, so they just do what they're told. I
make quite a few phone calls on behalf of my wife and quite often,
they don't want to deal with me, even if I just have a general
question, or a harmless one ("did our letter arrive?"). Now I wouldn't
mind them erring on the side of caution, if they had a really secure
way of checking that my wife, when they speak to her, really is who
she claims to be. They don't: confirming her date of birth usually
suffices.

Pointless security checks give security a bad name and thus give
security a bad name.

Martijn.