Re: [LUG] OT: marketing calls Pt 69!

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

tom wrote:
I just got a weird call - form someone saying they were from Berkleys Bank doing a survey of the market.
'Sorry not interested' *click* :)
What got me was the fact the speaker had asian voice patterns but an American 'accent'
Learned their English in America [or off American software]? More common than you'd think.

And/Or watched a lot of (cheap) American TV.

I've known a few people from asian parts with an american accent.

And as an aside, my sister-in-law is German, but speaks "english" with a broad Scottish accent as that's where she learned english! (And of-course myself & brother are Scottish)

The dalek sounds is often an overly compressed data link, or compressed then uncompressed and re-compressed again. (think 4th generation JPG image, or VHS video) Or it could just be packet loss. A lot of these places use VoIP (and Asterisk!) to place calls as they can often get much cheaper international calls that way. I now get a few "spams" a week from call centres looking for cheap (voice) routes to multiple places.

Gordon