Re: [LUG] OT: marketing calls Pt 69!

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Henry Bremridge wrote:

Had surreal phone call today from "HSBC" who called on my mobile and said
could I confirm identity for a non urgent matter. Said I would ring HSBC back to confirm and was told to advise it was
"Fraud department, reference D1"

Rang HSBC back looking up the number from their website and HSBC advised
that no call had been made.

Checked my mobile for caller ID, rang "0800 0330 4909", and got a
message saying it was HSBC.

I have no idea whether it was a phishing expedition or not. I presume
yes.

I don't see why the banks can't setup something like a 'reverse password'. As well as us giving out security passwords to confirm who we are, they should give us a password to confirm they are who THEY say they are :-)

Uh, no.. We should give them a password so we know who they are...

But funnily enough, I don't actually trust my bank to keep it secret.

Gordon