Re: [LUG] *nix computers in the Heroes TV series

Grant Sewell wrote:
Been re-watching the Heroes TV series and I keep noticing that every computer you see seems to be running a *nix desktop environment - maybe Linux, maybe something other.

Anyone else seen *nix systems in non-techie TV programmes?

Grant.
I'm pretty certain I've seen KDE 3 on 24 (Season 3, Episode 1 I think). I often look out for anything on the TV series Chuck (www.nbc.com/chuck). I have seen what looks like possibly a Mac desktop, but I believe I may have also seen a Gnome desktop too, the problem is, it's in the background and even in HD I can't make it out clearly enough. They have also mentioned a 'Linux install' on Chuck which I thought was amusing. It was in a scene where Chuck (the main character who works at an electronics store in the computer support team - The Nerd Herd) was asked by one of his colleagues to go and do a Linux install as this other guy was a Mac man.

I could certainly recommend Chuck to anyone who likes action comedy programmes, it's said to be a mix of 24 and Get Smart. It's about a guy called Chuck who gets sent an e-mail from an old friend who just happens to be a CIA agent. This e-mail contains a special attachment which when opened displays a load of random images which get embedded in Chuck's brain. It turns out these images are from a super computer called the Intersect. So Chuck starts seeing things and recalls these government secrets and has to be protected by two agents.

There are lots of geeky references in there to things like Dune (Chuck and his friend Morgan have a sandworm costume), Back To The Future (a customer brings in a 1981 DMC Delorean), Missile Command (Chuck has to get to the secret kill screen in Missile Command).

It's a great show and I highly recommend it, even for non-geeks. My wife loves it too because of the comedy. There's something for everyone in there.

At the moment it's quite cheap too on DVD, at least for Season 1, it's about £15 at HMV.

Here's a couple of videos to promote Chuck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Ye6dLzp4o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyuZbmQIJI&feature=related

Rob