Re: [LUG] Mac Classic

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:38:28 +0000
dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > As I understand it you can install M68k Linux on it, but it's not an
> > easy task. Likewise for NetBSD. As I understand it the hardest part
> > is getting it to boot natively - having a small Mac partition that
> > contains a stripped down MacOS and a 'boot loader' application would
> > suffice. (I ran into similar problems with booting Linux natively on
> > my 'old world' PPC 5500/225 Mac.)
>
> Even with 68000? Are there tutorials somewhere?

I'm afraid I didn't bother checking which of the 68k chips were
specifically supported or which were present in the Mac Classic.  Never
been much of a 68k person, myself, unless it's in the Cisco 2500
series. :D

> And that's no biggy, I did it on a New World Mac, I had Debian on the
> G3 233. I had to mess around with open firmware, place kernels and
> initrds in extra partitions I had to make... it's madness.

It was very strange... my old 5500/225 would support booting from CD,
but only Mac OS install CDs worked - the Debian installer, even the one
specifically for 'old world' PPC machines, didn't work.  I had to
install from floppy, copy the relevant kernel and initrd images to a
network share (since it seemed to bork when I copied them to floppies
and then copied them off floppies into the Mac system) and then copy
them from the network share to the relevant 'folder' on Mac.  It was
awkward, but fun.  I wish I kept that old box, but alas I needed the
space.

Grant