Re: [LUG] Digital Afterlife

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> For any company based in the UK, or that has offices in the UK eg ebay,
> should have a full understanding and be able to deal with probate
> process. So giving execuitors access to the accounts should just be a
> paperwork issue. Again banks even online ones should have no trouble and
> in this case its usual to create an executors account and have
> everything transferred to that.

Although always worth making sure your nearest and dearest know where
you bank etc, and where your saving are, which may be less obvious in
these electronic days (says Simon having just shredded most of the snail
mail correspondence with my online broker).

As we give plenty of money to the government when alive, would be a
shame to give them more by accident once we are dead. Although in most
cases if your account contact details are current they'll eventually
write to you (sometime in the next 15 years). Remember to include the
recently deceased on postal redirects where possible.

When I was last an executor I was pleasantly surprised how efficiently
and how sensitively most organisations handled these matters. Although
in a lot of cases it was just getting the deceased name off membership
lists and mailing lists, which isn't strictly necessary but bereaved
partner's probably won't want those kind of reminders in the post too often.