Re: [LUG] using main doom wad file from a DOS install cd

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:51:59 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

> >> I have the old DOS version of doom with the full wad file, under
> >> ubuntu there is a free version of this, and a copy of the
> >> shareware wad file that came with the original doom
> >>
> >> how would i go about extracting the main doom wad file from the
> >> doom cdrom, so i can play the full doom on ubuntu ?
> >>
> >> i am guessing i would have to install dosbox, instlal doom from
> >> that,
> >
> > No need - if you've installed doom under ubuntu then you're all
> > set...
> >
> >> then perhaps copy the files over to where I want, is this correct,
> >> or is there a way to insert the dos doom cdrom and get at the wad
> >> file so I can use it on ubuntu,
> >
> > apt-get install prboom
> >
> > then search the cd-rom for the WAD file - it's not hidden in any
> > way at all - just mount it and find it.
> >
> > Then play doom using prboom --file=doom.wad
> >
> > Not that I've done this myself, but ...
> >
> ...and for those of us who don't have the original Doom, there is
> this...
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/freedoom/
>
> It's a Free Doom WAD which replaces all the non-free components
> (graphics, sounds, levels etc) with a free version released under 'a
> modified BSD license).  Couple that with the GPL'd Doom engine and I
> dare say you have a few hours of gaming fun.
>
> Rob

I have Doom, Doom II and about half-a-dozen 'expansion' WAD-file CDs
lying around somewhere.  Didn't find a single one that wouldn't play
with prboom... now *that's* a few hours of gaming fun. :D

Next challange... upgrade Palm Pre phone to WebOS 1.3.x so I can
install Doom for WebOS and play all those WAD files on my phone.

Grant. :D