Re: [LUG] BBC HD - you've all been had....

Julian Hall wrote:
tom wrote:
One thing the brain does is adapt - but it does make a note of change so when you upgrade you go through a period of 'wow that's great' and then it becomes the norm and you notice all the things that are still wrong... that's when you have moved into an area exploited by fashion: where it doesn't get better but the continuous change gives the illusion of progress and sucks money out of suckers pockets.
This is the reverse though - people saying it did improve for a time but then there was a definite discernible degradation of quality - which coincided with the BBC downgrading their equipment, discovered by the public after the complaints.

Julian

I must admit what I heard of the report of the test suggested that it didnt check for the effect of the change. They showed that people couldn't tell the difference between the old encoding and the new encoding in terms of quality but I can imagine there could very well have been a change in the 'feel' of the encoding - sort of (again for you oldies) the difference between technicolor and kodachrome say (you know what I mean pardon I heard that). That would provoke in many a feeling of loss of quality without it happening.
Tom te tom te tom