Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Direct competition]

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 12:30:40PM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Julian Hall wrote:
>
> >'Smartphones with GPS and talking map applications are
> >increasingly competing with sat-nav devices, experts say.'
> >
> >Using Windows *and* Linux with Garmin planning an Android based
> >phone this year...
> >
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8424733.stm
>
> Quite right too, and the sooner Garmin, TomTom, etc. get their
> software into smart phones at a competitive price to that sold by
> the phone manufacturers (i.e. Nokia Maps in my case) the better.

Sorry just back from holiday: for what its worth

There appear to be two main mapping companies:

- TeleAtlas NV. Bought by Tom Tom for ~$8bn
- Navteq bought by Nokia for Eur 2.8bn

Garmin have a license for Navteq
Google use TeleAtlas

Other providers include: ordnance survey, open street map, and a lot of
others that seem to be business related (see google for digital mapping
services)

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.