Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Direct competition]

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

'Smartphones with GPS and talking map applications are increasingly competing with sat-nav devices, experts say.'

Using Windows *and* Linux with Garmin planning an Android based phone this year...

Quite right too, and the sooner Garmin, TomTom, etc. get their software into smart phones at a competitive price to that sold by the phone manufacturers (i.e. Nokia Maps in my case) the better.

I've been using my Nokia smart phones (the 9500 and my E90) with GPS and turn-by-turn mapping software for some 3-4 years now. Phone *and* GPS? I just Nokia and go ;-)

But didn't google recently announce they were going to put turn by turn audio directions into Google maps for free?

Still... I wouldn't say no to a car with a GPS, touchscreen and 3G data update built-in to the dashboard... But I can't afford that sort of car - yet...

Gordon