Re: [LUG] Sales???

tom wrote:
Julian Hall wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
Nope, not a DVD player. Although last year I bought a Technika from Tesco for my mum which turned out to be faulty. I think she replaced it with a Toshiba which was about £50 ish. My Dad has also had an LG and Philips DVD recorder which both failed within a couple of months. At the moment he has a Wharfdale DVD recorder which cost him about £60 which works great.

Rob
I bought a Phillips a couple of years ago for my Dad when he was ill - since he passed away last year my brother now has it. I believe it is still going well. I also bought one of Tesco's cheap £17 Technikas previously - that packed up in a couple of months - false economy. The Phiilips was only about £40 from Argos and as mentioned is still going.

We have a Wharfdale TV which we've had years, which speaks for the quality of the make if not the actual item under discussion.

Julian

Dont forget this 2 year EU guarantee thingy!
Alas for brands nowadays reliable quality is a thing of the past - I would imagine that now is the probably the worst time to buy anything electrical unless you have to!
Tom te tom te tom

I'd say as long as you don't buy the cheapest one possible you may be okay. Luckily DVD players don't cost the earth now anyway and you can probably get a reasonable one for around £30 to £40. Heck, even DRM infected Bluray players are coming down to around the £100 mark now (and going on what Bluray films I've watched, I can see a noticeable difference on the kids PS3 comparing Bluray to DVD, even at 720p, although I am a bit more paranoid about the kids leaving the discs out especially when they tend to cost twice as much as DVDs in some cases!).

Rob