Re: [LUG] OT: [Fwd: Tech changes 'outstrip' netbooks]

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Julian Hall wrote:
>
>> 'Rising prices and better alternatives may mean curtains for netbooks.'

> Horses for courses ...
>
> I've had a need/want for "mobile" access to servers, clients, etc. for
> some years now - for me, it's mostly typing, so something with a
> keyboard is nice. I started with the original Nokia "brick", the
> N9000i and have had Nokia communicators since then - however earlier
> this year I got an Acer Aspire One - brilliant! Light/Small enough to
> almost carry in a coat pocket (I have big pockets ;-) hook it up to
> the phone and off I go with a decent keyboard. I've tried the N770
> tablet and will probably get the N900 tablet/phone/communicator thing
> when I can afford/justify it, but right now, the AAO netbook and phone
> make a really good and lightweight combination for me.
>
> I guess they're not for everyone though... I'm not really convinced
> touch-screens are anything better than for point and drool type
> applications - ie. webby stuff. Try to type on one, it's it's a bit
> slow - back to the days on one-finger poking at a keyboard...
>
> Maybe things will improve, who knows!
>
> One thing I do remember seeing, but never bought one was a bluetooth
> keyboard for my N770 - there are dozens of models now, but one that
> caught my eye was one that projected a keyboard via a laser.. Hm, here
> we are:
>
>   http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8193/
>
> Looks like they retail for ~£100 though.
>
> Maybe a roll/fold up keyboard and touchy screeny thing might be the
> way forward for typey lovers like me though - who knows!
>
> Gordon

Interesting article....

How does Microsoft kill the netbook market ? .... Force up the specs so
that it can then support its bloatware .... then instantly kill the
market because the price difference between a netbook and a notebook has
little difference.

There is a lot of activity in China based around lower spec netbooks
running on Mips technology. The Chinese electronics industry are fed up
with paying licensing fees to certain CPU Monopolies in the USA and are
throwing their industrial (and academic) might at MIPS development.

Microsoft are going to wake up with one big headache because that is one
market they will be unable to control, dominate or assimilate.

One particular development the lemote laptop has caught the eye of RMS
but this is probably mostly because everything from the bios to the os
is free software.