Re: [LUG] OT: [Fwd: Tech changes 'outstrip' netbooks]

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Julian Hall wrote:

'Rising prices and better alternatives may mean curtains for netbooks.'

Horses for courses ...

I've had a need/want for "mobile" access to servers, clients, etc. for some years now - for me, it's mostly typing, so something with a keyboard is nice. I started with the original Nokia "brick", the N9000i and have had Nokia communicators since then - however earlier this year I got an Acer Aspire One - brilliant! Light/Small enough to almost carry in a coat pocket (I have big pockets ;-) hook it up to the phone and off I go with a decent keyboard. I've tried the N770 tablet and will probably get the N900 tablet/phone/communicator thing when I can afford/justify it, but right now, the AAO netbook and phone make a really good and lightweight combination for me.

I guess they're not for everyone though... I'm not really convinced touch-screens are anything better than for point and drool type applications - ie. webby stuff. Try to type on one, it's it's a bit slow - back to the days on one-finger poking at a keyboard...

Maybe things will improve, who knows!

One thing I do remember seeing, but never bought one was a bluetooth keyboard for my N770 - there are dozens of models now, but one that caught my eye was one that projected a keyboard via a laser.. Hm, here we are:

  http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8193/

Looks like they retail for ~£100 though.

Maybe a roll/fold up keyboard and touchy screeny thing might be the way forward for typey lovers like me though - who knows!

Gordon