Re: [LUG] cheap server hosting

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, Edwin Rhodes wrote:

hello i need to find a cheap server hosting company that offers:
apache, mysql, php and preferably linux as well, i need to run drupal and it runs with the software packages just mentioned. any ideas?

Hi Ed,

If you've not found anyone soon, give me a shout. Although it's not my primary business, I do host servers and sites and somehow seem to have amassed over a dozen servers in a managed data centre so-far. (With 2 more going in early next year)

I mainly build custom servers for custom purposes for my clients, but do have a shared service that would suit your needs. It certianly won't be the cheapest, but if you're still stuck and getting desperate, drop me an email with things like anticipated disk space and bandwidth, whether you need domain name(s), etc. and I'll see what I can do.

Maybe not a good idea if it's to support your VoIP stuff through (which I hope is going well!) - might be a bit of a conflict there!!!

Otherwise, hostroute used to be good, but I've not heard from them for a while (http://www.hostroute.co.uk/) Gradwell might be the benchmark for price/support and general "knowledge", (http://www.gradwell.com/) Rackspace get good reviews, but are relatively expensive, google will give you 1000's of results, so maybe sit-down and google for reviews of various host, etc.

I'd also suggest they you try to retain direct control of your own domain, if possible, but some hosting companies will "bundle" a domain and web/email - read the small print very carefully - especially with regard to termination or transferring a domain out to a new host.

You should be able to register a domain and host it separately, but maybe you've already got a domain.... If not, look at 123-reg. They're reasonably OK, not perfect, but who is, these days... (I have one client with a several 100 domains through them - so that's my basis for thinking they're reasonably OK - they have had outages, but seem to fix them. I use totalregistrations myself, but they do not do DNS hosting, just registration)

Cheers,

Gordon