Re: [LUG] Recommending GNU/Linux

Simon Robert wrote:
On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 22:57 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
- email will be easy, as will "Office", but I'm not sure what else... digital camera and printing... but wifey has an identical printer, so might play there first...

But I'd never expect a user like him to even contemplate doing an install/upgrade... (Although he has discovered Chrome without my prompting!)

Gordon

digital cameras - pretty much all of them "just work". Displaying as USB
storage devices. If you're on a KDE desktop look at digikam, gnome look
at f-stop (though the directory structure is a pain IMHO). Both will
download from USB cameras.

Simon

Don't you mean F-Spot?

I found that Digital Camcorders work out of the box too. My Dad's Panasonic DV camcorder was detected and worked fine (I believe I used Kino which saved the video directly from DV tape into an AVI file containing DV video which works on Windows in things like Movie Maker) and I've recently got a HD camcorder from Comet (£150 for a Hitachi model) and simply popping out the SD card (or plugging in the USB cable), I can watch the video on my notebook (it's H264 video with I believe AAC audio in a Quicktime MOV file). I'm not sure if it required any extra codecs as I installed the lot anyway.

Rob