Re: [LUG] Recommending GNU/Linux

Hi Gordon,

People are now spoon-fed into having a PC pre-installed, or the upgrade process is easy - gamers (a minority?) in the Win/PC world are probably the closest to knowing about hardware, drivers, etc. but in the Linux world we sort of expect end-users to know a bit more - maybe no bad thing, but it's off-putting I think.
Yep, agreed. Sad in many ways. Hand holding users is not the same as enabling them.

So what we need is an installation designed for a user and not a geek... And one that works on all hardware...
I am running that idea to the top of my flagpole and saluting it (Geeky reference to Red Dwarf)

But I'd never expect a user like him to even contemplate doing an install/upgrade... (Although he has discovered Chrome without my prompting!)
Yup, same scenario with my Dad. He's 80 now and despite never having grown up in the tech age has adapted with reasonable ease to using a Windows system but has problems with such "complexities" as how to set up his e-mail.

I know that X11 would boggle him if it crashed to command line.

Steph