Re: [LUG] Debian Version

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:50:28 +0000 (GMT)
Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is so embarrassing, how do I find out which Debian version I am
> running?

$ lsb_release -a

or the short versions, -i, -d, -r or -c.

Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        unstable
Codename:       sid

$ man lsb_release

"the current heuristic tends to assume that the installation is of the
earliest distribution which  is still being used by by apt"

It does get a little more complex than that depending on
your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ entries - at which point you start
looking at the output of 'apt-cache policy'.

--

Neil Williams