Re: [LUG] Hard Drives

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> A modern Linux kernel runs perfectly well without swap.

Paul didn't say it wouldn't.

> Executables are
> demand-paged in directly from their disk image, as required. All my PBXs
> run without swap as it's simply not needed.
>
> If you're into tuning and want ultimate speed, then making sure the
> system never swaps is a good first move!

If you want ultimate speed you want as much memory available, which
usually means paging out unused memory from processes. Which means you
want a small amount of swap depending how inefficiently the tasks
running use memory.

For a PABX if you can guarantee memory usage will never exceed memory
available in normal usage, and it never does much disk I/O, then having
no swap will probably make no difference.

For my desktop, I see swap usage at 10% of RAM, so that is a fair chunk
of dross paged to disk.