Re: [LUG] Hard Drives

Richard Brown wrote:
Hi

I am attempting to pull even more speed out of what is already a fast system. I have 3 7200rpm WD 300gb Hard drives installed. If I install a 15000rpm drive will this improve the overall performance of the system please? I am asking because this article suggests that partial stroking a slower drive will bring performance increase.

<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=322>

If this is true what stops me from partial stroking a 15000rpm drive please? I think partial stroking is his way of saying partition!

Or would a raid configuration be even better please? Raid 5 or 10 maybe so we're getting the redundancy as well as the drives writing and reading.
A 15000rpm drive would be quicker but MUCH more expensive, and if it's running in RAID I dare say it'll only run as quick as the slowest drive. If you're looking for ultimate speed then I suggest some Intel SSD's, being flash based they're quicker than any hard drive, or something like this from Micron (6Gbps SATA) - http://www.micron.com/products/real_ssd/index

You would need an SATA controller or motherboard with SATA 6Gbps to match though with the 6GBps SSD's and they're not cheap.

Rob