Re: [LUG] Share Portfolio Monitoring Programme

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 07:23:50PM +0000, John Hansen wrote:
> My old PC which runs Windows XP is nearing its final days.
> Before I change over to Kubuntu I need to find a Linux programme
> which will enable me to monitor various portfolios of Investment
> Trusts. The programme I presently use is Updata's Fairshares
> which enables me to monitor half a dozen portfolios. I am happy
> to enter the closing prices manually on a daily basis. I have no
> need to get prices entered online as I do not trade regularly.
> Graphs of the share prices are not a requirement but are useful
> at times. What is essential is that all trades and dividends are
> accounted for so that such information is available come April.
> BTW TaxCalc hope to release a Linux version in 2010.
>
> If any of you know of a programme that meets these requirements
> I would be most grateful to hear about it. Alternatively one
> of you might care to programme an open source programme which
> other may find useful.
>
> BTW I am not an investor with huge sums but run ISAs for my
> wife and I as well as a couple of accounts for a granddaughter
> and a great grandson.
>
> Helpful advice would be gratefully received ;-)

Couple of suggestions

1/ Use oOo: there are lookup commands on the web that will find the
current share prices. Most of this look up yahoo finance so you will
need to enter the right share codes. In most case the code is the UK
ticker symbol with a .L added eg HSBA.L

2/ Use Beancounter. As a default this searches yahoo finance and loads
the data into a database and allows any number of portfolios to be set
up. Existing code generates profit on the portfolio on any dates you
care to mention. It does not record cash or prior profits (or now: losses)

For that I use oOo

Any other data required: email me off list

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.