[LUG] Lighthouse in Paignton

Hi folks,

Paul and I popped down to the Lighthouse in Paignton today to have a chat with the guys there.

We now have a much better idea of what they want. The two guys we spoke to, Mark and Bryn are both fans of Linux, I gather they both use Ubuntu and I get the impression that Bryn is fairly technically minded :-)

Anyway, what I understand, the idea is to install an Ubuntu LTSP server and about 6 (or possibly up to 10 clients) in the ground floor of the Lighthouse. This would enable people to come in, buy a coffee etc and get some free Internet access (I gather they have to work the details out yet). If I understand correctly there will also be public wifi available too, similar to the Shoreline where you get free wifi on purchase of a drink/food etc. I'm not sure yet if that will be time limited wifi or what.

They seemed very open to the idea of holding LUG meetings there, so it certainly might be a good idea for the high season when the Shoreline is likely to get busy, and there appears to be enough space (at least at the moment) to possibly hold an install day (although we'd really have to discuss this with them when the venue is open). It's still probably somewhere that would be good to hold promotional days such as Software Freedom Day or distro release parties (such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, $favourite_distro parties).

I get the impression that they are limited for funds, so if anyone has any old machines kicking around that they are looking to get rid or sell of cheaply I'm sure they would be interested.

Anyway, as I know more I'll post it to the list, I have mentioned the LUG to Mark and Bryn and I gather they are looking to possibly join the LUG.

Rob