Re: [LUG] New server

Recycle it! I will be starting a new job teaching IT in Plymouth soon... An old P3-800 rackmount might be a useful learning aid. Who should I be mailing off-list?

-- Sent from my Palm PrÄ

Simon Waters wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:

> Sounds good. Out of interest, has the old server been running the LUG
> mailing list and web site since the beginning?

No, the site use to be on Termisoc servers. Alex can tell more no doubt.

The server just gone main problem was probably we configured it with
User Mode Linux without careful attention to disk access, so creating a
dreadful I/O bottleneck. Better network connectivity will also help!

Upgrading the UML instance was going to be a pain. We went from Sarge to
Etch seamlessly but didn't bother with Lenny because it required 2.6
kernels and other upgrade steps - we've by-passed that by moving servers.

Old host server for the virtual instances....

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
Linux version 2.4.25skas

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 751.709
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips : 1500.77

512MB of RAM
Intel rackmount server.

19:44:43 up 421 days, 1:46, 1 user, load average: 0.21, 0.23, 0.19

It was only rebooted due to power outages, and no panics or other
misdemeanour's whilst in service to my knowledge. So not a demanding
life for a server, but hardware and software proved their worth.

Neil's virtual machine use to lose it's cron daemon occasionally, but I
always assumed that was either him or his code ;)

It was a second-hand Intel server one of the members sold to Neil. Ran
two virtual server, including three websites about the popularity of the
DCGLUG site, handled my family's email (IMAP), and a scattering of low
traffic websites for Neil and myself including several WordPress
instances, and a PHP based forum at one point.

Now what to do with the old server, once it is fully decommissioned?