[LUG] The perrenial recurring query: Current 15" screen hassle free linux laptop of budget choice

Time has come to replace the 6 year old laptop which has now got a large
red line going down the screen and can only manage one firefox page at a
time with any usability.

I don't take it out much mostly use it for sitting on the orthopaedic
recliner so I can read stuff as can't sit at a desktop for any time due
to back injuries <:-( so its a freedom thing for me.

Want to be able to abuse firefox like I do on the core2duo/2ghz desktop
by having 30 or more tabs and windows open ... I'm real lazy about
bookmarking and just keep opening up interesting links until I get
around to reading them!

What will give me no hassles with ubuntu (now having abandoned suse for
ideological reasons since their deal with the devil only server left
running ancient copy of 10.2...)