Re: [LUG] Screen resolution and refresh woes

On Nov 27 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

Martin Gautier wrote:

> miketidball wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone, I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my pc at work and
>> it is setting my crt monitor to its top resolution.
>>
>> Unfortunately the screen flickers at that setting and I have to knock
>> it back to a lower one.
>>
>> However I cannot get this version to save the settings I choose.
>>
>> I had the same problem with the last version and to fix it I had to
>> run nvidia-settings as root, this would then allow me to save the
>> configuration.
>>
>> When I try sudo nvidia-settings now, and then try to save the
>> settings I get,
>>
>> Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!
>>
>> I have opened up xorg.conf to see if I could manually edit it, but
>> there are no relevant entries to edit, I assume some lines have to
>> be added.
>>
>> I would really appreciate some help with this.
>>
>> Mike
> Mike
>
> Try getting the xorg.conf file reset by Ubuntu and go from there...
>
> Reboot and at the Grub menu (you'll need to be quick ;) ) select
> "recovery mode". From memory I think it asks you a few questions but
> basically you want the option that resets the video mode. It should
> boot into a low resolution and you can then try using the nvidia tools
> again...
>
> Martin

If you've done a fresh install from scratch (i.e. not an upgrade from an
earlier version) you'll need to hold down the shift key when booting to
get the grub menu (literally hold it down from when the BIOS posts as
you don't get a countdown as in previous versions of Grub). This took
me a while to figure out.

On the other hand if you've still got Grub 1.x installed it may well ask
you to press ESC and give you about 2 seconds to do so to get the Grub
boot menu up.

Rob

I had no trouble getting to the grub menu it has a 10 second countdown but there was no option after recovery mode to do with

resetting video mode. I did boot from there into the command line ie no desktop but running sudo nvidia-settings wouldn't work.

Mike