Re: [LUG] grep and dreadful command line skills

On Saturday 21 November 2009 4:28:32 pm Simon Robert wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I use a rather great application called Alexandria to look after my
> extensive (vastly inconvenient according to some around here) collection
> of SF books.
>
> It even works with the extremely odd, but $5 on ebay "cuecat" scanner
> for ISBN codes. Downloads cover and details from Amazon. Worthwile
> looking up the "cuecat" just for amusement
>
> - the dubious distinction as one of "The 25 Worst Tech Products of All
> Time"
>
> - fails to solve a problem which never existed
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat
>
> Anyhow the point of this mail is that although fab Alexandria will not
> delete entries. (this project moves at glacial speed, but the likelyhood
> of me learning Ruby and solving this problem before it forks is not
> great). The book details are held in easy to read database files and I
> want to be able to track down a file so I can delete it.
>
> A grep command like "grep Transition *.yaml" would be great, except as
> far as I can figure one needs to specify a list of files. Is the a way
> of using grep which would allow me to do the above? Or a similar
> command?
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon

I'm coming late to this thread which looks as if it's descended into a jolly
command line beano.  I also use Alexandria and would highly recommend it.
 I delete items by using a file browser on my home directory viewing hidden
files.
There is a directory for Alexandria which contains a directory for each
library.  Each database entry has 2 files, one for the book entry and one for
the cover artwork with ISBN.yaml and ISBN.cover names.
Identify the file from the ISBN or cover thumbnail and deleting these 2 files
does the trick.

George