Re: [LUG] OT- Cheap Laptop + ARM netbooks

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

Michael Mortimore wrote:
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:09:32 -0000, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hang on, how can you get a small netbook when it's got a whopping 19" screen?
It could fold/roll up. eInk or OLED screens might be the way forward there (in the medium-long term anyway)

OLED screens are stupidly expensive at the moment though, even for a 10" screen. I doubt they'd get down to LCD sort of prices for a few years yet. Shame really, as the OLED screen Gordon showed us at the LUG meet was really nice.

They are very nice - one thing to note is that the one I have is behind a relatively thick sheet of borosilicate glass, so there's an additional source of reflections there - when you get them native as it were, they're absolutely stunning.

Apple is also rumoured to be using a 9.x" one on their next tablet device - although I've heard prices round the $2500 mark... They're not cheap - yet. They also have a finite life and do fade over time - again, I suspect this'll improve as the technology matures.

One thing I have noticed - they're not low power! I was warned not to drive it at full brightness + full white by the makers as it consumes 5 watts - a bit much for a battery operated device... And if you scale that screen I have (2.4") up to the size Apple wants, it would be like having 16 of them in a 4x4 array, and 16 @ 5W is 80 watts... Battery's not going to last very long on that one then and we'll be back to the bad old days of white text on a black background... (or green as that lights up less pixels!!!)

Gordon