Re: [LUG] OT- Cheap Laptop

John Hansen wrote:
> Our eldest granddaughter is hoping Father Christmas will bring her
> a new laptop. I see Morrisons offer an Emachine with Windows Vista
> for £279 which seem reasonable. However I know very little about
> Vista as I use Kubuntu and Windows XP on my computers.
>
> I wonder if any of you know a source of decent refurbished laptops
> preferably in Devon/Cornwall.
>
> John W Hansen (Bude area)

Well this seems to have created a lot of interest. I know that the topic
is cheap laptops, but I thought I would take the opportunity to mention
the Linux Emporium. [1]

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk

They supply many items for the Linux user including laptops. They are
not new, to my knowledge they have been around about 10 years now.
Anyway, re laptops they have a few things going for them -

1 The laptops are brand new
2 Therefore there is the usual year's warranty (return to base).
3 They come with Linux pre-installed [2]
4 So, no hassle re the MS licence

I just thought that some list members might be interested as some of the
advice has been to buy new rather than refurbished.

Neil Winchurst

[1] Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection with the Linux Emporium

[2] Their web site states that Ubuntu Karmic is normally pre installed.
but there are other choices.