Re: [LUG] OT- Cheap Laptop

On 20/11/2009 23:34, Julian Hall wrote:
Michael Mortimore wrote:

There is that. Printers and scanners are extra too and I use them all just as often. Personally I only use dvd drives to install a new OS. I just took out the harddrive, plugged it into a desktop and installed that way.
How would that work for specific hardware drivers such as motherboard, graphics etc? Would you put them on a USB stick and just install them as the OS complained about something new and/or it didn't work?

Julian

I'd guess with Ubuntu it would probably 'just work'. Windows on the other hand, well unless it's got similar hardware or the drivers already loaded, it could throw a wobbly (although I'm guessing Vista and Windows 7 would handle hardware changes a bit better than XP).

Rob