Re: [LUG] OT- Cheap Laptop

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:14:21 -0000, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I believe like cars it depends how they are cared for. A car that has been driven on motorways or dual carriageways for instance by the owner will *in general* be in better nick than a car driven stop-start short distances all the time, or by a company rep [no offence meant to any on the list] who thrashes it because it doesn't actually belong to them. In the same vein afaik there is a right way and a wrong way to treat laptop batteries - although opinion differs on what the right way actually is.

it's my opinion that the best way to look after the battery is to keep it partially discharged (i saw 40% mentionned somewhere) in the fridge and run off the mains as much as possible.

It may not be the best way to look after the laptop though. It wouldn't surprise me to find manufacturers are designing laptops to rely on the battery as a means of voltage stablisation so they can provide the cheapest crappiest power supply going.