Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Computer for the elderly launched]

Rob Beard wrote:
> tom wrote:
>> Julian Hall wrote:
>>> 'A new computer aimed at people aged over 60 who are unfamiliar with
>>> PCs and the internet has been unveiled.'
>>>
>>> Built on Linux too, although they don't say what distro they've
>>> modified..
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8352606.stm
>>>

>> A cheap computer, linux on top and a rather large price!
>> Must see if the final OS is GPL.ed
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> The distro is Linux Mint (which is GPL), the interface though called
> Eldy isn't GPL'd.  It looks like it has it's own license.  Haven't got
> the patience to read through it at the moment.
>
> The main Eldy site is in Italian, an English translation can be found
> here (via Google):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/eldy-english
>
> There are some instructions here on how to install it on Debian (in
> English):
>
> http://linuxforelderly.wordpress.com/*
> *
> It looks like it's available for Windows and Linux.  I'll have a look
> through the license later on and see if I can decipher it.
>
> I bet this would be ideal for a kiosk type system, for say a community
> centre for the elderly running on LTSP.  Hmm... that gives me an idea.
>
> Rob

Is it worth contacting them and asking if they have any links with local
Linux / free software groups who can perhaps offer more localised
assistance,

we have age concern shops who again may be interested, in forging links,
 after all as LUG members we have related skills where as a lot of
people who attend colleges etc, are going to be using Windows.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net