Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Computer for the elderly launched]

tom wrote:
Julian Hall wrote:
'A new computer aimed at people aged over 60 who are unfamiliar with PCs and the internet has been unveiled.'

Built on Linux too, although they don't say what distro they've modified..

A cheap computer, linux on top and a rather large price!
Must see if the final OS is GPL.ed
Tom te tom te tom

The distro is Linux Mint (which is GPL), the interface though called Eldy isn't GPL'd. It looks like it has it's own license. Haven't got the patience to read through it at the moment.

The main Eldy site is in Italian, an English translation can be found here (via Google):

http://tinyurl.com/eldy-english

There are some instructions here on how to install it on Debian (in English):

http://linuxforelderly.wordpress.com/*
*
It looks like it's available for Windows and Linux. I'll have a look through the license later on and see if I can decipher it.

I bet this would be ideal for a kiosk type system, for say a community centre for the elderly running on LTSP. Hmm... that gives me an idea.

Rob