Re: [LUG] Corporate digital emails

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 10:27:19AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 09:10:57 +0000
> Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I was therefore really happy when I discovered that The Financial
> > Ombudsman Service appears to use a product called "PGP Universal Gateway
> > Email" that overcomes these problems
> >
> > http://www.pgp.com/products/universal_gateway_email/index.html
>
> > - If you upload your key to their server
>
> If you upload your *public* key to their server . . .
>
> (which you created with free software and which doesn't ever cost
> anyone anything to use, process, validate or authenticate)
>
> > - Pricing appears to be $76/user/year

Apologies for confusion

The service from the FOS is of course free.

Because I am hacked off at companies refusing to send me my data to my
email address and refusing to accept instructions my email (on data
protection grounds because email is not secure) I was trying to find out
how much this software cost the FOS. The only pricing I could find was
this $76/user/year

There are two issues that irritate me on this

- Even if the banks / councils / insurance companies paid PGP
  Corporation $76 per user per year to send secure emails to clients, it
  would be cheaper and less headaches that sending letters or forcing
  their customers to use their $%^& webmail clients

- If the local SW Councils used FLOSS to create a similar package and
  released the software into the community then not only would they save
  money they would also be using tax payer money to improve efficiency
  in general

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.